blogpic

blogpic

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Totem Poll

"A priest, a monk, a rabbi and a lunch lady walk into a bar..."Ha ha ha! Ok, so that's not quite the best set-up that I was looking for but I'll keep working at it. The picture I'm trying to paint or the point, is that what an interesting bunch that would make. 

Recently, I was invited by one of my mentors and guru's to participate in one of his highly sought out seminars this coming weekend.  Well, what an honor this is.  On top of it, I've been invited by him to have dinner with some of what I call "my celebrities".   Wow...what can I say?  Honored, amazed, excited, nervous, humbly proud of myself, etc., etc., You name it, I'm feeling it right now.  

Originally when I saw the list of names of those invited to the dinner, my immediate response and feelings were "Oh my goodness, I'm not going!"...  If you read my first post, I've already explained how, I am actually a very shy and timid person.  Add to that the fact that in this situation, I'm at the bottom of the totem poll compared to the other invitees.  "Phew..." um, nervous does not describe it. 

I started thinking how out of place I would feel, how I would have nothing to say or how I'd freeze up and feel so completely like a kindergartner amongst college professors.  And then it hit me...Didn't I say that this is the year for BIG! things for me?  Didn't I say that this is the year to not "sleep on this kid because BIG things are coming".  My year to be a mover and a shaker and achieve major successes one step at a time? 

I realized that hey, if my mentor and guru who I have so much respect and admiration for believes I belong there amongst this elite group, then "I MUST BELONG THERE!".  Why doubt myself or put myself down and not believe in myself and my talents and abilities?  Sure I'm the little fish in the big pond swimming w/bigger fish, but everyone started somewhere.  Everyone was at one point, a small fish and I've been so graciously blessed once again with such an amazing and golden opportunity to rub elbows with some of "my celebrities" and I should run with it.

After coming to terms with that realization, I quickly reached out and touched base with those invited and I can gladly say that they were all SO WELCOMING and friendly already.  Again, "phew..." What an amazing group and what a sense of relief to know that I'm being so graciously embraced and welcomed by these awesome individuals. 

The emotions now, major major excitement, anticipation, GRATITUDE, humility, pride in myself and yes, still nervous-ness but what can I say I'm sure even the major greats get nervous. 

To add to it all, moments after all this, I logged on to read Jamin Thompson's blog (yet again, someone I'm a major fan of and follow often).  This particular blog post was Jamin's 99 suggestions of how to improve your life and #89 totally stuck out to me.  How awesome and how true....
"89.  Always go to dinner with the best putters. If you want to achieve success it is important to surround yourself with other successful people. Hang around those people who are going to the top and who will be good mentors and role models for you during your quest. These are always the best people to be with when times get tough. They will understand what you are going through and help you."
(Jamin"Jrock" Thompson is an internationally recognized fitness model, actor, fitness expert/author, and sports performance expert. http://perfectbodyrx.com/2011/01/06/99-ways-to-improve-your-life-live-large-and-be-effin-awesome/)

At a recent seminar I attended, the great Todd Durkin said "Look at the closest people to you, surround yourself with the best and make this your inner circle." This may not be my "inner circle" but again, thanks to someone who obviously believes in me and has been a major inspiration for me, I have the opportunity to spend some time with these individuals.  
(Todd Durkin is a strength, speed, & conditioning coach, personal trainer, bodyworker and motivational speaker/coach.  He is the 2004 IDEA and 2005 ACE Personal Trainer of the Year.  Men’s Journal has named Todd one of the top 100 trainers in the United States and top 5 in Southern California. Owner of Fitness Quest 10 & Todd Durkin Enterprises)



So it's not a priest, a monk, a rabbi and lunch lady, but it's...

a "7 time IPF Master World Champion and Multiple State, National, American and World Record Holder, FEMALE power lifter...The Amazing...Ellen Stein!", 
a "Level II Dragondoor RKC certified, Duncan family's Way of the Winds System black belt, holistic health counselor and trainer...Gregory Landess", 
a "CSCS, CPT, author,owner and founder of Peak Performance gym (rated #3 gym in Amer. by Men's Health Magazine) with a list of over twelve highly regarded and accredited certifications and titles, one of the most highly sought-after fitness experts in the world...Joe Dowdell", 
a "Member of Board of Directors and Medical Staff Advisor for AIMLA, certified in FMS and SFMA, columnist for Dynamic Chiropractic Journal and owner of Pain Laser Center, LLC... very insightfull Dr.Perry Nickelston, Dc", 
a "Personal Trainer/Kettlebell Instructor who's certifications include RKC, AKC and IKFF... the incredible Michael Sanders." 
a "NSCA CSCS*D, CGFP-3, certified at the highest level by the Titleist Performance Institute as a golf fitness professional, one of twenty, level 2 K-Vest certified Instructors in the United States and Director of Golf Performance for Elite Health Services, LLC.,.... The super talented Ali Gilbert.", 
a "Strength Coach/Fitness Writer/Fitness DVD producer,known as one of the leading experts on effective kettlebell training for size, strength, fat loss and conditioning, author of three best-selling kettlebell training DVD's: The Kettlebell Solution for Fat Loss and Mental Toughness, The Kettlebell Solution For Size And Strength and Kettlebell Solutions For Speed And Explosive Strength, as well as two best-selling kettlebell training e-books: The Aggressive Strength Kettlebell Training Manual, The Aggressive Strength Solution for Incredible Kettlebell Training and The Aggressive Strength Solution for Size and Strength, respected writer who has written over eighty articles for publications such as: Muscle & Fitness, Men's Fitness, Hardcore Muscle Magazine, Planet Muscle, Testosterone Magazine, Ironman Magazine, Ironman Magazine Japan, Industry Magazine, and Exercise Magazine For Men, who's work has also been featured in Muscle & Fitness, UPN News, and CBS News, my guru and mentor...the most amazingly aggressive, Mike Mahler!" 
and last but certainly not least...an "up and coming rising star, one not to be under estimated with big things to come certified Personal Trainer.....the FABULOUS...ME!!!! :)


Point of the story is... don't under estimate yourself.  BELIEVE IN YOURSELF ALWAYS because you may not see it or recognize it but somewhere, someone BELIEVES IN YOU!!! 

*** 

I'd like to take this moment to thank MIKE MAHLER for your wonderful guidance, patience, time, generosity and most of all for believing in me and for giving me this wonderful opportunity to further my knowledge and better myself.  FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!





No comments: