blogpic

blogpic

Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's YOUR life.

“The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” -Bob Moawad (Author of  Whatever It Takes: A Journey Into the Heart of Human Achievement)
Recently, I was having a chat with a friend who I greatly admire.  We were discussing the importance of family and the influence that they have on our choices, decisions and at times our overall path to happiness.  Now this friend of mine is very family oriented which I not only think is a great quality but am proud that he embodies.  Growing up as the last girl in a family of four kids and two very religious parents, I too am very family oriented and greatly value the influence and support that family has to offer. However...I thoroughly believe that this is in fact "YOUR LIFE" or "My life" to live.  
In other words, while I value the advice and guidance of my parents and older siblings, or others of my family figures. I believe that we are all given this wonderful gift of life for us to live and do what we can with it.  My parents, for example, have had their opportunity to live their life. To make their own mistakes.  To experience their own happiness, sadness, successes, failures, ups and downs.   And while it seems that we always try to do the right thing to make others proud of us or to find some type of reassurance or acceptance from others, we need to recognize that sometimes by doing that, we are setting limits on what could truly be "our" happiness.  
Times change, people change, society changes.  Evolution happens.  What was once considered the norm or acceptable may not be what is now the best approach for success. There was a time when being Judy Cleaver was what depicted the image of a happy woman.  But does that still hold true today?  Not necessarily.  There was a time when a woman in the gym meant doing some sort of perky jumping while rotating our torso side to side and our hair flowed gloriously.  Is that necessarily what holds true today? 
As I said, times evolve, people evolve, society evolves, beliefs evolve and so should we.  Our parents and family are there to guide us. Key word: Guide. Not to live our lives for us or to define what it means to LIVE our lives.  Mistakes, trials, tribulations...success, happiness.  They are yours to take and make your own. Live your life but remember that...
"you alone are responsible for the quality of it". 
***

I'd like to take a moment to thank every one who tuned in yesterday and so graciously welcomed me in to the "blogosphere".  Once again, thank you for your love, support and encouragement.
If you have not already checked out my fan page on facebook, please do so. We are currently working on a 21day fitness/health challenge.  On day four but you can still hop in.
 

Lastly, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" to my dear friend Maria.  I love you and hope that today brings you lots of happiness and love and that you take this opportunity to LIVE YOUR LIFE to the fullest babe! 



No comments: